2019 | New year, New Beginnings, New Credit Score Goals
There are four main credit bureaus in South Africa that you will need to keep your eye on. If you ever want to borrow money, lenders will request more information about you from one or more of these bureaus before accepting your credit application. Lenders use your credit report as one of the main resources when making a decision about approving and declining your loan or credit application, so therefor it's a great idea to really understand what's in your report and that the details and data are correct. The National Credit Act entitles every individual to get their credit report free of charge, once a year from every credit bureau. It's definitely worth taking advantage of these free reports and checking in with each credit bureau to make sure your profile is up to date.
- You can get free access to your Experian score and report as often as you like through CreditExpert or ClearScore.
- Everyone is entitled to one free statutory credit report a year through Experian's CreditExpert service.
- Alternatively, you can pay R21 for a month's subscription or R145 for a yearly subscription.
- Your Experian score ranges from 0-705.
- You can get access your TransUnion report once a year for free.
- You can get a once off report or you can pay R99 per month / R499 per year (Current Special ending 31/01/2019) for a subscription.
- The TransUnion score can range from 0-999.
- You can get one free report a year from Compuscan.
- You can also purchase a one-off report for R25 or you can choose from 3, 6 and 12 month paid plans.
- Credit4Life offers 30 days free access to your XDS report.
- They also offer a once off report for those who dont want to check in every month but have already used their free period for R14,99.
- Alternatively, the Credit4Life consumer club gives you access to your report for R99 per year.
Once you've done this, you'll have a good idea of your overall financial situation is and you can correct any errors to ensure that lenders receive the correct information and that you score stays in tip top shape.
Different creditors will report to different bureaus - some may report back to all four and others may only report your information back to one or two.
This means different credit bureaus may hold slightly different information about you.
This is why it's a good idea to look at your reports from different bureaus periodically.
Author: JP van Breda